“If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.” Martin Luther

Friday, August 13, 2010

Death and the Christian (Part 1)

Recently people I care about have lost loved ones. The death of those they cared so deeply for, moved me and caused me pain as well. Not because I personally knew those they loved and lost, but because I cared for them, I prayed daily for them, and thus I feel a small measure of their pain as well. On top of this I had a conversation with one of my own loved ones and their struggle with the idea of death and the pain that is caused by it. So as a result I desired to discuss it here.

Death is a reality. We are born and we will die. Ge 3:19, "for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." It is a fact of life. But it is not a natural fact of life. That is to say that God did not create man to die. It is a result of sin and the fall of man. Sin kills us. So in dealing with death we feel naturally averse to it. As we should. But that leaves us with how to react to it as believers.

The Christian has two things he must deal with when it comes to death. The death of himself and the death of others. Since I believe the more prevalent fear comes from death to self then let us deal with that first. (The death of others will be dealt with in part 2.)

In the book "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan we have a wonderfully true and accurate depiction of what the saints should feel as they are about to die. Mr. Standfast has come to the river, ready to cross over into heaven that awaits him, and begins to wade out into the water to cross over. Half way over he stops and this is what he says:
This river has been a terror to many, yea, the thoughts of it also have often frightened me; but now methinks I stand easy, my foot is fixed upon that upon which the feet of the Priests that bare the Ark of the Convenant stood, while Israel went over the Jordan. The waters indeed are to the palate bitter, and to the stomach cold; yet the thoughts of what I am going to, and of the conduct that waits for me on the other side, doth lie as a glowing coal at my heart.
I see myself now at the end of my Journey; my toilsome days are ended. I am going now to see that Head that was crowned with thorns, and that Face that was spit upon for me.
I have formerly lived by hear-say and Faith; but now I go where I shall live by Sight, and shall be with Him in whose company I delight myself.
I have loved to hear my Lord spoken of; and wherever I have seen the print of His shoe in the earth, there have I coveted to set my foot too.
His name has been to me as a civet-box; yea, sweeter than all perfumes. His voice to me has been most sweet; and His Countenance I have more desired than they that have most desired the light of the Sun. His Word I did use to gather for my food, and for antidotes against my faintings, He has held me, and I have kept me from mine iniquities; yea, my steps hath He strengthened in His way.
What a wonderfully godly view of how we should perceive death and prepare for it as that day approaches. For Bunyan's depiction is in full agreement with the Apostle Paul when he says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Php. 1:21) One of my favorite passages in the entire Word of God is when Paul says in 2 Tim. 4:7-8, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing." This is the crowning achievement of our lives! This is the hope we all live in and for. For those that are saved there is nothing to fear for "we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man." (Heb. 2:9) He has defeated death so that we do not feel its sting... there is nothing to fear! Because of this we may boldly proclaim, "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" (1 Cor. 15:55)

Saints must not fear death but relish the thought of finally being where they have been going. The trip was long and hard, the battles great, the energy has been sapped, and many are left behind. But when we see Him as He is all of that will go away. No more sin, worry, hunger, or pain. The only thing we are left with is to relish and worship our God forever with Him in heaven. The narrator of our story in "The Pilgrim's Progress" ends Mr. Standfast's speech by saying,
Now, while he was thus in discourse, his countenance changed, his strong man bowed under him; and after he had said, Take me, for I come unto Thee, he ceased to be seen of them.
Perhaps we will not all have such luxuries in passing. But our eyes must be equally fixed on where we are going and rejoice that we will be there forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment