“If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.” Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Numbered With the Martyrs - John Hus

Continuing in our weekly series on martyred saints we now turn our attention to that godly man John Hus. May his story invigorate your resolve to stand boldly both individually and collectively with those being martyred for Christ even in our own day and regardless of what persecution we may face in this life.

It is said that this godly man insisted on facing his accusers in spite of the fact he had been given ample opportunity to escape. Though Hus was betrayed by many (not the least of which was the Emperor Sigismund himself who had guaranteed him safe passage and return), brought before a kangaroo court, treated poorly and imprisoned in such pitiful conditions that he had become gravely ill while awaiting trial; yet Hus never wavered and with a clear conscience and the word of God on his side he stood strong. After the Cardinal of Cambray demanded that he recant and repent for all he had said Hus replied, "I most humbly desire you all, even for His sake Who is the God of us all, that I be not compelled to do the thing which my conscience doth strive against, or which I cannot do without danger of eternal damnation: that is, that I should make revocation, by oath, to all the articles which are alleged against me. But if there be any man who can teach me contrariwise unto them, I will willingly perform that which you desire."

One of the remarkable things throughout was that there was a genuine sense of humility and a teachable spirit within this pious man. On more than one occasion he openly invited his accusers to teach him by the word of God where he was wrong that he may learn and repent should they be successful in so doing. On one such occasion, as an example, after being exhorted to examine himself and repent if he should find himself in error rather than face punishment it is said that with lamentable tears he said, "Verily, I do take the Most High God for my witness, that I am ready with my heart and mind, if the Council can teach me any better by the holy Scripture, to alter my purpose." With said council unable to oblige his request they turned humility into fault and marked him as an obstinate heretic condemned for death.

After the council had repeatedly refused to allow him to speak or plead his case and forcibly silenced him Hus dropped to his knees and gave a cry that should be ready on the lips of every saint alive should they fall into similar circumstances. He said, "O Lord Jesus Christ! Whose word is openly condemned herein this Council, unto thee again I do appeal, Who when Thou wast evil entreated of Thine enemies, didst appeal unto God Thy Father, committing Thy cause unto a most just judge; that by Thy example, we also being oppressed with manifest wrongs and injuries, should flee unto thee."

Even after these wicked men had sentenced him to death Hus showed a remarkable love for his enemies and a faithfulness to his God saying, "Lord Jesus Christ! forgive mine enemies, by whom Thou knowest that I am falsely accused, and that they have used false witness and slanders against me; forgive them, I say, for Thy great mercy's sake." Yet not even such a pious plea could sway the hearts of the evil men that surrounded him and he was answered with derision and mockery.

After this they began to assault him. First one of the bishops took his chalice away from him proclaiming, "O cursed Judas... We take away from thee this chalice of thy salvation." To which Hus replied, "I trust unto God, the Father omnipotent, and my Lord Jesus Christ, for Whose sake I do suffer these things, that He will not take away the chalice of His redemption, but have a steadfast and firm hope that this day I shall drink thereof in His kingdom."

Next the bishops collectively came and took away his vestments while each of them placed their curse upon him. Still, Hus faithfully replied, "[I do] willingly embrace and bear those blasphemies for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

After much contention over the tool with which they would scalp him with it was finally decided that a pair of shears would be best and they "cut off the skin of the crown of his head..." and placed a "crown of paper, almost a cubit deep, on which were painted three devils of wonderfully ugly shape, and this title set over their heads, 'Heresiarcha' (which is to say "The Chief of Heretics")." Still that godly man John Hus did not give in and give them cause to revile him but only replied, "My Lord Jesus Christ, for my sake, did wear a crown of thorns; why should not I then, for His sake, again wear this light crown, be it ever so ignominious? Truly I will do it, and that willingly." Then as if to twist the dagger just one last time these wicked men pronounced, "Now we commit thy soul unto the devil." "But I," said John Hus, lifting his eyes up towards the heavens, "do commend into Thy hands, O Lord Jesus Christ! my spirit which thou hast redeemed."

Stripped naked, tied and chained to a pillar with wood stacked around him from his feet to his chin some gentlemen approached him and asked him to repent in order to save his life. He simply replied, "What error should I renounce, when I know myself guilty of none? For this was the principal end and purpose of my doctrine, that I might teach all men repentance and remission of sins, according to the verity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: wherefore, with a cheerful mind and courage, I am here ready to suffer death."

Having burned John Hus' books outside of the church wherein he was tried they now used the books of the venerable John Wycliffe and upon this the fire was kindled as John Hus could be heard singing with a loud voice, "Jesu Christ! the Son of the living God! have mercy upon me." Herein John Hus expired and was no more on this earth having happily crossed over to be with our Lord.

John Hus was martyred on July 6, 1415. One of his last comments recorded was, "You are now going to burn a goose, but in a century you will have a swan whom you can neither roast nor boil,” Hus meaning goose in his native language. One hundred two years later on October 31, 1517 Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Thesis to the door of the castle church in Wittenberg which sparked the Reformation and transformed history from that point on. Later when Martin Luther was brought before the Diet of Worms he was accused of "being just like that heretic John Hus." Shortly thereafter they took a break and Martin Luther rushed to the library to find out who this John Hus was. Upon coming back from the break Luther was asked about the charge presented therein to which Martin Luther stood up and proudly proclaimed, "Ja, ich bin ein Hussiten!" That is to say, "Yes, I am a Hussite!"

May the Lord enliven our faith and embolden us to do battle with the wicked in this world. May we do so with grace and honor and always to the glory of our most holy God.



If you are interested in reading more on John Hus or Martin Luther I would recommend the following books which are linked to places you may buy them (I am not getting anything for linking them, I am only helping others find these valuable resources).

Hus the Heretic by Pogius the Papist; The Book of Martyrs by John Foxe; The History of the Reformation of the 16th Century by J.H. Merle d'Aubigne

No comments:

Post a Comment